Thursday, May 28, 2009

The World According to Indigo Girls

Wow. It's been 2 weeks since I last posted. I've been in a bit of an emotional rainstorm of sorts...mostly of the hormonal flavor. But last week there was a sweet parting of the clouds in the form of an Indigo Girls concert. The Fates tried to keep me from it: Davy woke up sickly and I was afraid I'd have to stay home that night...which was, after all, a Wednesday night.


I will try to let the pictures do the talking...but I will mention that the night got more ramped up as the laughter (and the tequila shots) flowed. It's not every week that I get to attend an Indies concert AND celebrate the birthday of one of my favorite people: Miss Wendy Marie Buck Miller.


The night is still innocent. Wendy, Noelle and I had trouble deciding who would be the "X" and the "O" for the classic Chi Omega pic.


Tee hee! Just applying some Burt's Bees! (Liz and Emily prepare to impress the crowd full of estrogen.)



From left to right: Molly (one of Emily's besties visiting), me, Noelle, Wendle, Liz, Emily
Um, Molly? That clove cigarette is indeed in the pic...but you did a good job trying to hold it out of the lens' eye. (note: if you can see Molly's new tattoo, it says "I am the vine, you are the branches. Abide in me." in Spanish.)


Classy ladies! Now, don't hate. Cloves are the ultimate escape to an earlier life. I blame Emily as my bad influence.


The Girls!


While Noelle rocks out Bon Jovi style, Wendy and I do another sorority pose. Doest thou see the couple in front of us? They were the extremely inconspicuous handsome gay men and they stuck out like a sore thumb. More to come from them...


This is me explaining to one of the very social young men that I, indeed, am talented in the art of fake sign language. In fact, after a tequila shot, my talent grows undeniable.


"Are you SERIOUS?"



Indeed I was. I displayed said talent during "Hammer and a Nail." See, folks? I aim to entertain. Oh, there were tons of more photos, many of which you can see the guys attempting to join me at my art. Let me just say - I felt good that night. I forgot how stressed out I'd been. I laughed...a LOT. It was such a gift to be with good friends...I even turned around at the concert only to see Jamie Elder Kerr, one of my favorite high school friends, standing behind me! (She joined in on the fake sign language immediately.) I had to sneak out early because I had an early morning (as in 5:30am) running class to coach. But it was well worth the exhaustion the next day!

Thanks, y'all!

P.S: I forgot to say that the title of this post came from a conversation with Katy the other day. We decided that the Indigo Girls have the answers to all of life's problems in their lyrics -

Ex: Want to go on a trip? "Get out the map, get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down"
Struggling with the existential question of life? "How long till my soul gets it right? Did any human being ever reach that kind of light?"
Worried about the weather? "But the wood is tired, and the wood is old, and we'll make it fine if the weather holds..."

I could go on ad nauseum, but you get my drift...

0 comments: