Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Things I Swear By: Tanning Lotion

A few folks have asked about my tan legs, so I thought I'd share my secret here. I used to be a sun addict. I've had three surgeries to remove skin cancer (Basal Cell Carcinoma) to prove it. Like all other sorority girls at Texas Tech in the 90s, I had a tanning membership. During my twenties I worked at a summer camp teaching water skiing and rarely used sunscreen. I know, I know. Absolutely terrible. So I am not allowed to be in the sun these days without SPF 900. But I'm also a firm believer in the old adage, "tan fat looks better than pale fat."

Enter my daily self-esteem saver:

Okay, listen: you need to get the Medium to Dark kind and it is important that you apply a small amount. I usually put less than a dime-size into my palm for one leg. I DO NOT apply on my knees but rub in the lotion until my hands feel dry. The lotion will go on like any normal lotion, leaving no streaks or orange places so you will need to rub it in well, leaving no place "un-lubed." I use sparingly on my chest and arms but it's the legs that I'm typically most concerned with. The great thing about this specific Jergens lotion (NOTE: Natural Glow Express) is that in 3 days you look as if you have a very natural tan. It's much better than the regular Natural Glow lotion.

ps: please, after application, wash your hands extra carefully, paying special attention to the spaces in between your fingers!

pps: Katy, I hear you already complaining about the smell...it smells NICE!

12 comments:

dianeroutson said...

Oh, Becky. I do so enjoy reading your blogs.

The Mitchells said...

You know I'm going to buy this tomorrow...and probably won't wear high SPF till I have to have my own surgery.

Beck said...

Thanks, Aunt D! I would totally read yours if you had one!

Katy said...

Beckles, you know me so well. That's the first thing I thought when I read the subject of your blog. I still think it probably smells, but it might be worth trying.

Flashback: When Beck & I used to live together, she used a different brand of lotion. She'd put it on and walk around naked for a good hour or so.

Beck said...

Oh, that lotion was the BEST. It was the double-barreled Coppertone tanning lotion. One side squeezed out regular lotion while the other squeezed out the tanner. It worked so good but it did have a slight stench.

Also, the walking around naked? People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Katy said...

I'm well known for my naked walking. I'm surprised I haven't had any peeping-toms. Maybe I do but just don't know it.

Dwelling said...

I am laughing right now! Thanks for the tip, now that I am an official southern girl I kinda like to get my tan on! Curious: would I have luck covering the cute little leg veins that have appeared with each pregnancy :)?

lindsay said...

you just saved me a lot of heartache over my pale, post-baby pudge that will be bared for all to see as the swimsuit season approaches. Off to Walgreens then...

J. Page said...

Have you tried the Tan Towels? They are a little pricey but they work...No smell and no lotion...You just rub them on your legs and it dries quickly...Also, thanks for the tip about buying medium to dark. I have used the light to medium, with just so so results.

Rachael said...

Not so fast J.Page ... I tried those last week and am still dealing with a self-tanning disaster. I looked like an umpa-loompa for a week! Although, you are right, no smell.

Thanks for the tip Beck. As you know I am a freckled sun lover as well. But I have become vampire-esque in recent years since my father in law died from melanoma. Wake up call!

I will try this out. I have used all the other Natural Glow products and have loved them (Minus the smell) so I will try this one out!

The adventures of a lifetime said...

I bought this last week and Roy said I spelled like a wet dog....umm, that wasn't what I was going for.

J. Page said...

Rachael- sorry to hear about your self tan disaster...Not sure if it makes a difference but I use the Tan Towel Plus. I had a little streaking on the feet, but I usually do it for a couple of days and it evens out (nothing like some of my past experiences with self tanners.) Also, the new revitalizing Natural Glow smells and feels much better than the older versions.